working in a new wooden recorder

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance working in a new wooden recorder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heather wilkie
    Participant

i havent played the recorder for a few decades since i was 8 years old. i learnt on a german made wooden recorder, but dont recall i took much care of the instrument im afraid.
    ive just purchased a wooden recorder made by zamir. it appears that its never been used and was part of a collection. im awaiting my purchase of a learn to play the recorder book as i cant remember any of my learnings, but im wanting to get my recorder ready for use.
    i dont want to shock it as it feels very cold from sitting around in various places.
    im currently just handling it. im a bit nervous of my breath in a very cold never used instrument.

Tony Newnham
    Participant

Hi

Since no one else has responded, here’s my take. Let the recorder sit in the room where it will be played for a while – an hour would be ideal. Also, especially when it’s new, mop it through frequently, and always before you put it away. Aside from that, get on and play – you shouldn’t do any harm.

I keep most of my wooded recorders in “fur” lined padded bags (from the Early Music Shop) to give them some insulation from temperature extremes when I need to take them out to a venue.

Every Blessing

Tony

recorderoz
    Participant

I don’t think that there is too much to worry about. If the recorder is at a comfortable room temperature, then it should be fine.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by recorderoz.

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.