Which Renaissance Style Recorder?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Which Renaissance Style Recorder?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    charles poindexter
    Participant

I am a relatively new player, but I love medieval and renaissance music. I am looking for a Renaissance style instrument at a reasonable price. I am not a fanatic about the instrument being absolutely “period correct” in fact I would prefer Baroque fingering. I will not be playing in a consort, only solo and occasional duets. I’m considering two different altos, the Kobliczek Renaissance Alto Recorder which is in maple, and Mollenhauer Dream Edition in pear wood. I’ve seen great reviews of the Dream Edition Altos in pear, but not much about the Kobliczek. I like the look of the Kobliczek and might prefer the single holes, but tone is my greatest determiner. I’d love to hear your experiences and opinions. Many thanks!

DC
    Participant

I highly recommend the Dream alto. Mine is pear. It was the first good instrument I bought, and I play it much more often than other more expensive altos I’ve purchased since. The high notes, especially, speak easily (in my experience), and the instrument is light enough to hold comfortably for a long time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.