Yamaha v Aulos keyed tenor

Home Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Yamaha v Aulos keyed tenor

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Aulos303 March 20, 2019 at 9:44 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Aulos303
    Participant

I had an Aulos tenor a while ago but it had no keys and I found it a stretch (Aulos 211 Robin). However they also make a keyed tenor, the 511B, and also Yamaha produce one for around the same price. But which do people prefer? And at the budget end is the Thomann tenor worth getting? Its very cheap.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Aulos303.

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Anonymous

I own both the Aulos keyed tenor and the Yamaha. I prefer the sound of the Yamaha – I find it richer – but I play the Aulos more as I find it less of a stretch. The holes seem the same distance apart on both models. The only difference I can see that would explathis is that the plastic key on the Aulos is a bit longer so your little finger has less of a stretch. This tiny detail makes a big difference to me. Regarding the Thomann tenor, I bought one of these first. It sounded fine but the finish was very poor. It had rough plastic seams, it was scratched and the key screws were damaged. I sent it back and bought the Yamaha. You get what you pay for. I hope this helps.

Aulos303
    Participant

I own both the Aulos keyed tenor and the Yamaha. I prefer the sound of the Yamaha – I find it richer – but I play the Aulos more as I find it less of a stretch. The holes seem the same distance apart on both models. The only difference I can see that would explathis is that the plastic key on the Aulos is a bit longer so your little finger has less of a stretch. This tiny detail makes a big difference to me. Regarding the Thomann tenor, I bought one of these first. It sounded fine but the finish was very poor. It had rough plastic seams, it was scratched and the key screws were damaged. I sent it back and bought the Yamaha. You get what you pay for. I hope this helps.

Thanks, it does indeed!
    I think I would go for the Aulos as being able to play comfortably is important. I have a low D whistle which sits in the tenor range but the lowest hole is just too much of a stretch.

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.