Can I tune my recorder?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Becky Hansen
    Participant

I am just starting to learn alto recorder, and going through these lessons. I sounded fine (albeit slow) and then I put down the recorder for a few months. As I got back to it, I found that the notes are off from the lessons—the C and A are almost a full step below what they should be. Now I know that breathing can affect the pitch, but my other notes seem to be ok as I work on them. Is it possible that I ruined the recorder somehow by letting it sit for months? Or am I just bad at it?

I have an Aulos Alto 709B. Sorry if I’m illiterate about this, but I’m trying. 🙂

Jacqui
    Participant

Plastic recorders are fairly indestructible, but maybe it could do with a quick clean inside. Use warm water and washing up liquid and use a soft cloth in the cleaning stick to wipe out the insides. Give the head piece a good blast under the tap.

Then make sure all the joints are pushed fully together and the recorder is well warmed up. Your problem might be as simple as the change in season since you last played changing how much warming is needed.

Finally, some notes need more puff than others to play in tune and this is something you will learn from experience.

Descant and treble recorders.
    https://www.instrumentalists.freeforums.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.