Yamaha Recorders Sound Weak?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kaiden J. Bos
    Participant

Ive played yamaha recorders for a few years. Im starting to notice when I listen to other recorder players that their sound down low, like on the bottom two notes on tenor or alto that they have a full, big,round sound. I just cant get that! Is it my yamahas? Or me? What should I do to get a bigger sound? Is it something that happens as the instrument warms up? Are some instruments built to be louder down there?

I play Garklein through Basset Recorders. My main instrument is saxophone, secondary flute.

Jacqui
    Participant

Some models have strong low notes, some have easy high notes. We probably can’t have both. That said, I wouldn’t call the lowest notes on my Yamahas ‘weak’. My 300 series alto has a poor B natural, but the lower notes are fine, perhaps a little quiet, although still full and warm. But ‘the higher the pitch the louder the dynamic’ is basic physics for a recorder. I get the most out of the low notes by breathing warm, slow air (think dahhhh, rather than doooo) and maintaining breath support.

Descant and treble recorders.
    https://www.instrumentalists.freeforums.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.