New Recorder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Darryl Stone
    Participant

I purchased a Mollenhauer
    Canta Alto recorder and started playing it in played twice for 5 min was wondering when I apply the 1st coat of sweet almond oil. Thanks

Dick Mattson
    Participant

Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so, it may already have been oiled before they sent it to you. If the wood is wax-impregnated, you may not need to oil it anyway. Check with your dealer.

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

I’ve never read a maintenance instruction from a recorder maker that said “Sweet” Almond Oil. I’m thinking you want to use “Pure” Almond Oil. Also Almond Oil is said to be lighter than the other recommended oil – Linseed Oil. The French maker Bolton recommends once a month with Almond Oil or once every three months with Linseed.

By the way, Linseed Oil on cloth or paper towel is COMBUSTIBLE and has burned down many a house. I don’t know anything about Almond Oil combustibility. I use a small strip of cloth for oiling that I then take outside and place on the ground till dry.

Linseed Oil comes as “Boiled” Linseed Oil from the hardware store. ‘Boiled’ has additives to make it dry overnight. I always us “Cold Pressed” Linseed from the Artist’s supply store with no additives. It can take a week to dry; but having used both in Lutherie, I find ‘boiled’ to have greater ‘build-up’ as a coating. I fear that build-up might eventually alter air flow or clogging in some way. Most recorder vendors sell the little over-priced Mollenhauer “recorder oil” bottles of “I-don’t-know-what-kind-a” Linseed Oil. If it’s good enough for Mollenhauer; it’s good enough for me. The little bottle lasts a long time if you’re doing it right. I keep one in my kit. The fire caveat remains though.

Darryl Stone
    Participant

Okay thank’s for the information!

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

I missed part of your question about playing a Mollenhauer in and some oiling tips. They have an aptly named “Worth Knowing” webpage at:

https://www.mollenhauer.com/en/worth-knowing#content

I couldn’t find anything about Mollenhauers being wax impregnated. If they’re not, an oiling regimen is a good idea. I oil my Mollenhauer Denner Treble and feel that oiling of its labium does something very nice to the instrument’s voice. I did find that the outside has an oil finish. That said, I’m going to start an every-now-and-then light wipe down that will also keep it clean and new looking. Enjoy your new recorder… — k

Darryl Stone
    Participant

Ok thanks for the information

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.