New member saying hi

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Linden
    Participant

@Maizie – It sounds like a lot of fun, I’ve said before that I have the Bravo Bonsor recording and the recorder orchestra there sounds like it was full of people playing for the sheer joy. I can never come away from that recording without a huge smile on my face.

Re the treble (alto) renaissance book, I think I’ll have to succumb to it. I’m still struggling to find suitable easy repertoire of a sufficient mix. I wish the Schott treble anthology started at a lower level but it assumes that players have already done a few years of descant before ‘progressing’ to treble. I can manage odds and ends there but I soon need more notes than I have at present. I have Tunes for Fun which is folk and traditional and is quite useful but I’d like some more simple Baroque and Renaissance etc etc. The other issue I have apart from difficulty with bottom F is that the collie we live with likes to singalong to the treble. When dogs howl together they’ll typically choose a note to contrast with the one already sounding so the effect is quite avant-garde. My husband is seriously impressed how I can play through her renditions. She has an astonishing range. I’m sure I’m developing a useful skill. Not sure that the exam boards would allow it to constitute a duet though…

@Pavane
    – I’m impressed with the transposing on the hoof. And wonky you could never be!

Pavane
    Participant

> I’m impressed with the transposing on the hoof.

If only! I type it into a lilypond file (not as onerous as it sounds as I have templates for most things so it’s just a question of entering the notes), check that what I have is correct, then use lilypond to do the transposition. Hence the longer the piece, the more time it takes to do this, but then the longer I spend learning it so the overhead is not so great. A certain palindromic user of a different forum suggested that MuseScore might be an easier way to do this, I suppose it all depends on what you are used to. Why not give one or other (or any other option) a go and try transposing some of the pieces out of the soprano vols of the Schott anthologies for alto? I would agree that doing so is a pain but, on the other hand, it potentially doubles the available repertoire.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Pavane.
    Linden
    Participant

I used to copy out stuff into MuseScore. The software engineers made some strange decisions along the way. I sure it makes sense to people who started off with it but arriving late to the party, it’s just odd. But I got used to it and quite liked it. I think it’s quite a useful exercise in some ways.

Re The Renaissance Recorder – treble version. I bought it. I’ll let everyone know what it’s like when it gets here.

Linden
    Participant

I said I’d update. The Renaissance Recorder (Treble version) arrived this morning. It’s a delight. A lot of it is easily within my grasp and I’m currently working at Grade 1. There’s a lot of Susato, some Playford, Diego Ortiz and the old favourite – anon. Some pieces look a lot more challenging than my current state. Quite happy to list more if anyone wants to know more but I’m very pleased with my new book.

I also bought Robin Milford’s Christmas Pastoral. It’s a very short piece. I happily sight read it this morning only stumped by G# and Aflat because I don’t know the fingering for them. Jacqui mentioned this piece too. A first play through has put it on the list for next week when our Christmas starts. I’d recommend too. My husband has taken the piano part away to see if it’s something he might want to play.

Largissimo
    Participant

I’d never heard of Diego Ortiz before I bought that book. Turns out he was an important figure in the history of the viola da gamba! I’d really love to learn the “Recercada Segunda,” but maybe…. not just yet.

Linden
    Participant

I’d not heard of him either and he doesn’t exactly take up much space on wiki. The piece you mention is definitely a bit beyond me at the moment though I’m pleased to say that the treble is progressing a lot faster than it was. Descant still isn’t back where I was before the accident but at least I don’t stop half way wondering how to finger the next note! I’m pleased to be a bit further along as now there are things I can play – and some really pretty little things. I’d like some more (easy) Telemann, Handel and Papa Mozart! I really ought to dig out some Van Eyck as I’m sure there must be something there I can play! (ish)

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.