Mollenhauer Kynseker vs Moeck Kynseker? Feedback?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Mollenhauer Kynseker vs Moeck Kynseker? Feedback?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kristen V
    Participant

Hi! Haven’t been here in a while! I’d like a plum Renaissance recorder, and was thinking of a Kynseker. Does anyone have comparison feedback between these 2 Kynseker? Thank you!

Pavane
    Participant

I haven’t actually owned either, so this is somewhat limited as feedback. I tried out the Mollenhauer in a shop and it is a lovely instrument. In the end, I actually bought a Moeck instrument, but the Renaissance Consort model rather than the Kynsecker, because I wanted to try the renaissance fingering rather than baroque. I think all the Moecks are stained pearwood rather than plum. The staining on the RC model looks better than on the Kynsecker imho, but to be honest I don’t think the wood (contrary to lots of counter claims, so just my opinion) makes any difference at all to the sound, it’s just about the look. Not that that doesn’t matter.

Something you might want to think about if you haven’t already taken the plunge – I only just saw this – is differences in fingerings. This is solely about my limitations as a player, but I find substantially different fingerings easier to come to grips with than fingerings that are almost, but not quite, standard. That’s partly why I chose the RC. Both Moeck and Mollenhauer have fingering charts online, and both show various subtle variations from standard baroque fingering.

If you have already bought one, I hope you are enjoying it. Let us know how it goes!

Kristen V
    Participant

Hi! Thanks so much for replying! I bought a ganassi. He said it, after I bought it, it’s “like” a ganassi. So I don’t know exactly what I’m getting. Or the wood. It’s in one piece, and looks very much like the one sh’s playing here. I LOCE the sound she’s getting, tho I don’t expect this will be quite the same. We’ll see! I’m excited! Due to arrive Tue. 😊 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHrCOwtvHk&pp=ygUVZ2FuYXNzaSBhbHRvIHJlY29yZGVy

Here are photos of the one I’m getting.

Kristen V
    Participant

Oh! Says photo won’t upload. But it looks like the one she plays in the link. 😉

Pavane
    Participant

Looks good! None of my recorders sounds quite like the same model being played by a top player ;(

According to some makers the Ganassi style is something of an invention (you can see what Philippe Bolton has to say about it here) so in that sense “like a ganassi” could be taken to mean “is a ganassi”. Either way, I’m sure it will be great fun to try – do let us know how you get on with it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.