Mollenhauer Adri's Dream tenor – anyone tried it?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Mollenhauer Adri's Dream tenor – anyone tried it?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pavane
    Participant

This quite appeals to me but I have some concern about the fingering. Second octave E needs six to be half-holed, but not the usual hole that is nearest (ie, the one covered to get E-flat). I am not great at dealing with irregular fingerings, but this one is not just irregular but extremely awkward. I have tried it out of interest on another tenor and found it virtually impossible. I’m therefore wondering if the fingering is critical to the note, or a bit like closing seven for bottom F – generally improves the note but you wouldn’t really notice most of the time.

Richard Hureau
    Participant

Just wondering where you are getting this fingering from. Do you have a link to it? For example, is it on their website?

Pavane
    Participant

Yes, it is on their website: pdf here

Richard Hureau
    Participant

I see it. That’s pretty awful, for sure. It almost makes you wonder if it isn’t a mistake. I mean, for example, they never have a single hole indicated as being used, except on the Eb. So perhaps whoever made that chart got the single hole that should be used for such notes mixed up and filled in the wrong circle. I doubt if they really mean that. Even if they do, I’d take a chance that closing the normal hole would sound OK. They aren’t going to sound much different, I wouldn’t think, even if you could stand on your head to close that funky other hole to try it. You could try sending them an email. Maybe they’d respond.

Pavane
    Participant

Yes, you’re probably right, I wondered myself if it could be a mistake, though Mollenhauer is a pretty big company and the Dream recorders are quite popular so I’d have thought someone else might have noticed. On the other hand, it’s an Adriana Breukink design 🙂

The Blockis website shows it with the usual hole for half-holing closed (here) so the note presumably does need some shading downwards. Blockis often seems to reflect user experience as much as maker’s information, so presumably that works ok even if the official version is, as you say, to stand on your head and close the other hole!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Pavane.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Pavane.
    Aulos303
    Participant

That is odd. I’ve never seen a fingering that uses the far 6th hole. Have you tested a conventional second E for tuning?

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Richard Hureau
    Participant

I don’t think he owns the recorder in question and is just worried about buying such an odd thing. But it looks like it is just an error anyway.

Pavane
    Participant

Indeed, I don’t have one to try. I have also never seen such a fingering, and – for me at least! – playing it would be impossible. I’m sure a more conventional fingering would work, I just wondered if anyone had actually tried it.

Stephane Larochelle
    Participant

I just received mine, but in the Alto version …

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.