Loose head joint

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ned Mast
    Participant

The head joint of my Moeck Hotteterre tenor is quite loose (both joints are thread-wound). Short of adding thread to the joint, are there ways of making it a tighter fit?

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

Hey Ned,
    The most recommended approach to my experience is first try to find the end of the string, unwind say a foot of thread, and rewind neatly. This is often the trick. What I most often do instead is wrap one layer over the thread with plumber’s white Teflon tape.I’ve never needed more than two snuggly pulled layers. NO MATTER WHAT! The joint should slide easily together without force. A little ‘wobble’ is okay if no air is leaking. If in doubt, take it to a Woodwind repair shop or mail it to one of the ARS recommended Recorder shops. NOT Guitar Center!

Ned Mast
    Participant

Thank you Ken in Dallas. I appreciate your reply; the idea of plumber’s white Teflon tape had occurred to me, but I wondered if it would stay in place. That you’ve used it successfully has
    encouraged me to try it, so that’s what I’ll do.
    (Not to worry – never would I consider taken any instrument I own to Guitar Center for repairs)!

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

By the way Ned, the tape seems to cling to itself under a dash of tension and a little overlap. – k –

Ned Mast
    Participant

OK, Ken. Today I’ll be trying the tape and will tension it and ovelap a bit. Thanks again – Ned

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

You might post if you’re pleased with how it goes.
    Again, – k –

Ned Mast
    Participant

I couldn’t be happier with Ken’s suggestion of using plumber’s teflon tape to tighten a loose joint on my wood tenor recorder. It did so well on the head joint that I’ve also used it on the foot joint, which was loose though not so loose as the other joint. I may remove a bit of tape since the joints are quite tight now; as time goes on I’ll be able to tell just how much is needed. But for sure, an easy and practical solution! Thank you, Ken. – Ned

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

Okay then, but Ned you said you have a Moeck. Especially on a wooden instrument, please make sure the joint isn’t anywhere near “Tight.” Wood can warp and/or crack. To be clear: The tape shouldn’t be overly tight on the long tube, and the fit shouldn’t be anywhere near “tight” on either end piece. I’m kind of over-reacting cause it is possible in overdoing it to distort the roundness of the parts and perhaps make things beyond repairable.

This method of communication – not in person – can be dangerous.
    You sound like you’ve got the concept, but I’m a worrier. Our first goal is to not have air leaking. Then we try best we can to not have much if any wobble.

— k —

Ned Mast
    Participant

I understand, Ken. I’m going to remove a bit of tape and just make sure the joints are tight enough that they hold together. As it was, when I picked up the recorder by the head, the body was likely to fall off. I’ll be careful to not overdo it. Thanks again – Ned

bridget murphy
    Participant

Do you mean to say that you own two guitar repair center?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.