Looking for a (baroque?) concerto that's fun and not too difficult

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Repertoire and Music Looking for a (baroque?) concerto that's fun and not too difficult

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rikard Peterson
    Participant

Hi!

I’m a bassoon teacher (among other instruments) and lead a wind band that’s unusual in that we have a few recorder players in it. One of the recorder players is now getting quite good, so I’d like to feature her on a solo piece with the band. Because of that, I’m now looking for a piece that I can arrange for our strange orchestra. This is what I’m looking for:

* A solo for recorder that’s not too difficult. (I want to challenge the soloist, but she’s not a professional – yet.)

* I know that alto is the most common solo instrument, but a soprano is easier to balance against a wind band. (Suggestions for both are welcome.)

* I’m thinking baroque, but if you have other suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

* Ideally, the music leaves plenty of room for both orchestra and soloist. (It’d be nice to have spaces for the saxophones and trumpets to bloom too, so that we use the band fully.)

Malcolm Martland
    Participant

Some of Telemann’s Suite in A minor maybe?

Rikard Peterson
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, even if it’s too late. We settled on John Baston’s second concerto.

Aulos303
    Participant

This forum is very slow. I think no-one is here…

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.