Is it me or is tenor much harder than soprano?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Is it me or is tenor much harder than soprano?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aulos303
    Participant

I’ve been learning on a soprano for a while (Aulos 303A) but I wanted a deeper tone-I find it too shrill at times, so I bought a tenor (Aulos 211). Just had my first hour with it and I’m finding it incredibly difficult to get the lower notes,especially liw C. Sometimes I can get it but if I play a scale it tends to go once I get to the 4th hole.
    Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to warm up the windway first? Any tips for getting a clear tone on this tenor? I do think the spacing is a bit wide in places, and this is supposed to have been designed for smaller hands. The thumb hole is higher up than it is on a soprano relative to the first hole, and the gap between hole 4 and 5 seems a bit big. Or do I just need to get used to it?

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Red Hoplite
    Participant

Blow soft warm air…same thing i found on soprano and it should sound sweet not shrill.( the soprano)

Each one though has its own chalenge. So for me soprano was to make it sound mellow amd sweet instead of shrill. They take less blowing tha. The bigger recorders I found. So the tenor has the difficulty (for me) to hold it without getting tired, to sound good of course and to position fingers rightly. That’s the mature of the beast. Alto is the happy medium I’d say not to small or shrill and Mot too large BUT…The first note is an f not a C …so that changes quite a lot= another chalenge!

Hole spacing is nesecarry obviously for the tuning to be right. Perhaps you should look into the ones with button?

But anyway you do get used to it.

For low C make sure all holes are covered properly and use soft warm air ( like trying to steam up a window.)

Kind regards
    Martin

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Red Hoplite.

All music is an inspired creation.
    All creation is made and held by sound and music.
    It all has one source and with our music we merely mirror his beauty.

Martin

Aulos303
    Participant

Thanks Red (wow it is quiet on here!)
    After a bit of exercising and warming up I managed to play a scale on the tenor last night, up and down.
    I’m getting there…

Aulos303
    Participant

Short video of me playing a scale

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOptjhAVOl/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Aulos303.

Red Hoplite
    Participant

I know I already saw your scale on the Facebook page! I’ve requested to join on there too.
    Keep up the good work!
    Martin

Martin

Aulos303
    Participant

Ah, are you Martin Bright?

Red Hoplite
    Participant

No not Martin bright. I asked to join strangely nobody’s had accepted my request yet?

Martin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.