Hohner vs Yamaha

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sandy Moore
    Participant

Hello I am new to recorder and am choosing a soprano recorder. Should I chose Yamaha over Hohner?

Jason Cone
    Participant

I wish I could answer your question, but I’m also a beginner on recorder and I’ve never played anything except Yamahas. I have a Yamaha soprano (the Ecodear version) which seems decent, to me.

I’m interested in more informed feedback you get, though. I’m especially curious about the wooden Hohner’s (their Musica line). I’m wondering if a maple Hohner is worth it.

Richard Hureau
    Participant

I hope it’s not too late to advise getting a plastic Yamaha over any Hohner, especially a wooden one. Inexpensive wooden recorders are to be avoided like the plague! And generally speaking, Yamaha is considered a better recorder manufacturer than Hohner. Yamaha, Aulos, and Zen-on are the most respected plastic recorder makers. You cannot go wrong if you stick to them.

Sandy Moore
    Participant

Hello, Thank you for your reply….it is a bit too late….. but I have ordered a Yamaha as well (a cheaper model – just 30$). I checked reviews for the Hohner and they were very good and I do like it but I am very new to Recorder and will perhaps see the difference soon. I do find that maintaining a C5 in one long breath difficult (seems to want to go to C6 but that may be my technique for sure)….. I really appreciate your advice and am looking forward to comparing the two recorders…
    Of course after only a couple of weeks now I also want an Alto recorder!! lol

Sandy Moore
    Participant

So I received a Yahamha recorder yesterday. Resin and about 30$. I really like the sound of the Hohner much better. Is price of Yamaha really crucial to performance? The tone of the Hohner is much less harsh (?)

Jason Cone
    Participant

You’re probably hearing the difference in wood vs. plastic. (Did you get the “Ecodear” Yamaha? Supposedly the Ecodear models sound a little closer to wood.)

I’ve done a bit more research on the Hohners. What I’m seeing are reports of decent tone, but some intonation problems on certain notes (F and E♭ are mentioned) and some difficulty in playing notes in the higher registers. I’d be interested to know if you find any issues in those areas, specifically.

Aulos303
    Participant

I think the choice at the lower end should be yamaha or aulos. And I would favour aulos.

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.