Help choosing please!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kristen V
    Participant

Hi! I have a Moeck pear alto, but am considering a different alto for a richer sound. Any feedback? Considering Dolmetsch maple, Moeck Renaissance Consort (love the larger bore, but kind of disappointing there are no double holes on F or G), Mollen. dinner boxwood, Moeck Tuju maple.

Thank you! 😉🎵
    Kristen

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

What I did was buy Grenadilla instruments. The change in sound is subtle but delightful for solo pieces. I now have a soprano and an alto in that wood and am very happy. — k

Janice Lee
    Participant

What kind of consort are you playing in? It will determine whether you want a Renaissance or Baroque recorder. Are you doing more solo work? In that case a Baroque or modern recorder in one of the harder woods like grenadilla and ebony will carry sound further. But those woods can be a little loud for consort playing.

Boxwood and rosewood have a nice tone, with rosewood being a little reedier. I’ve been happy with the tone quality on all of the Moeck Rottenburgh recorders I’ve played. I also have a Mollenhauer Denner rosewood that’s nice. A woman in one of my groups has a Kung alto in olive that she’s very happy with. Don’t have much experience with Dolmetsch.

I have a Moeck Tuju maple from the early ’80s, when I first started playing. The sound quality is fine, but the more expensive woods sound better.

I hope you’ll let us know what you end up getting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.