Fun recorder project

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just recently bought a old German fingered tenor recorder of gumtree for $29. It didn’t,t speak properly,and I don,t want to learn German fingers as all my recorders are English ,so out comes the block for a revoicing ,and all the tone holes are re drilled to make English ,and extra hole drilled for d#,and while I was at it I thought I,d undercut all the tone holes with the dremel,very satisfied,my most played tenor,clear sound ,easy clear high notes,fun recommended project,for $29 you can,t lose,but gain knowledge into how recorders work.

recorderoz
    Participant

Sounds good, so to speak. However, please please don’t try such modifications on a quality instrument. My understanding is that the learning phase is 10 years at least.

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

Anonymous
    Inactive

I totally ,agree with recorderoz,although for $29,I can,t stop myself,as I love working with wood,ie: recently purchased two moeck tutu altos of eBay one $36, which I love,the other $40.50, didn’t,play low notes, so out came the block and revoiced, love it now,plays the full range easy now,slight differences ,ie easier blowing,less resistance in wind way,and a little louder,but if I stuffed it up ,just buy a piece of cedar and make a new block,thought I can,t loose for $40.50, but I wouldn’t, do it on top quality instrument ,and I don,t own any ,and maybe I would,but wouldn’t muck with the instrument body,but only the block as I can make a new one,as long as when making a new block never force it into recorder head as you can split it,as long as it fits snugly without much pressure then ok, and if any small holes you can fill them with bee wax,Google flute-a-Bec has a lot of great advice,as well as a keen interest in wood work and patience ,it’s a lot of fun,but I,d definately not do it on a favoured or expensive flute ,without confidence ,and a keen interest ,and knowledge in woodworking,and self responsibility,and acceptance that it might not work,regards firepony.

Victor Eijkhout
    Participant

Anything you do to a German fingered instrument can be considered an improvement!

Victor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.