Do I need oil and decondenser

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Palmer
    Participant

I used to have ebony wood recorders that needed breaking in, oiling and decondensing.

I sold them and didn’t play for years.

I have now been given a pan Australian (I believe made from a native Australian hard wood) and dulcet Scholar (no clue what wood).

They are very old but no cracks and the pan Australian plays quite nicely.

As the have not been played in a long while, do they need breaking in with short stints of playing? Do they need oiling and decondencing, or because they are cheap models (so probably coated in parrifin wax) they don’t need any of this and I can launch into 3. Hours playing no probs?? Advice please??

Dick Mattson
    Participant

You may or may not have noticed that this recorder site is practically dead as nobody bothers to respond to questions (much less respond to answers) anymore. You’d have much better luck on FaceBook on the following pages: The Recorder Cafe, Recorder Players n Enthusiasts, Flute a Bec, etc.

But to answer your question, yes you should both oil the recorders (even if they have been wax impregnated, just to be on the safe side) and most assuredly break them in carefully so they don’t crack. Anti-condense maybe, maybe not depending on if they clog too easily.

Sarah Palmer
    Participant

Great thank you for the advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.