Can I use petroleum jelly ( vasselin)

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Can I use petroleum jelly ( vasselin)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Red Hoplite
    Participant

Will it be ok to use vasselin on the Cork joint of my wooden molenhauer reorder if I run out of the grease that goes with it?

All music is an inspired creation.
    All creation is made and held by sound and music.
    It all has one source and with our music we merely mirror his beauty.

Martin

Aulos303
    Participant

Someone on a facebook recorder group did suggest that vaseline is good to use on wooden recorders.

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Christopher
    Participant

I recommend not for instruments with cork. Why? Because over time, vaseline will move through that cork and destroy the adhesive underneath, allowing the cork to start to lift. The only way to fix it is to send the instrument in. Best to use a white grease in the chapstick-type tubes, as it is not reactive. They’re cheap, and available just about anywhere.

This was advice given to me from the owner of a woodwind repair shop in 1971, and reiterated by him in 1995. He was trained in woodwind repair with the U.S. Air Force.

Mainly French & English baroque repertoire on an A403 Bressan, and an A415 DeBey. Recorder enthusiast since 1971. Early Music program at York University, French baroque instruction at Royal Conservatory in Toronto.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.