15 minute practice schedule.

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning 15 minute practice schedule.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Maggie Rohan
    Participant

Hi, I have just bought a new alto recorder and am breaking it in as per the instructions. I’m now up to playing for 15 minutes. I am also a returning player, I haven’t played alto recorder for decades!
    I have been concentrating just on getting a note to speak and am playing exercises using the notes C to middle F. Every now and again I try to play low F and it’s hard to get it. Particularly if I try to go up the scale and back down, it starts go way off as soon as I play low G then the F just doesn’t come.
    I’m following Sarah on Team Recorder too.
    Any tips please for how to use well the 15 minutes practise time?
    In one week I can go up to half an hour! Can’t wait.
    Thanks in advance

Kevin Pfeiffer
    Participant

What recorder did you buy? Some are more sensitive than others with the lowest notes. So-called “playing in” is much over-rated — more for the player, in most circumstances. So, have at it!

The two areas of concern with low notes: air stream, finger placement. The low notes require a much slower and very open (“warm”) air stream — as if you are steaming up a mirror.

The other likely problem is with the fingers. With “all fingers down” it’s very easy to overlook a misplaced finger, i.e. a hole that is not fully closed, particularly in the right hand (index finger, for example). You can check for this by lifting and replacing one finger after another.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.