Reply To: Beginner saying hello

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning Beginner saying hello Reply To: Beginner saying hello

Maggie Jones
Participant

Hey Louis. I just checked out your YouTube channel and have become a subscriber. You play really well and your daughter is adorable. You started 2013; did you have any prior music learning experience? I am 49 now and have been trying to teach myself, on and off, (more off than on) for about 10 years, bouncing between recorder, harmonica, guitar, ukulele, something called the xaphoon, ocarina and now back to recorder. I’d start with one instrument, get a ton of instruction books and/or subscribe to a course online, not see enough progress or musicality and give up. This cycle has been repeated with every instrument mentioned for the last 10 years. All this music and still can barely play a complete tune at 80 bpm without stopping {sad face}. I am not deterred, however. As you noted: never too late to learn. I wholeheartedly believe that a higher power has planted this desire in me to continue to pursue music for a reason so I continue my journey. I look forward to watching more of your videos for inspiration. As a self-taught musician–it gives me much hope.

I would welcome an opportunity to play via Skype–just need to get over my anxiety of playing where others can hear/see me–I am a closet recorder player :). I love this instrument. Out of all the others, particularly the treble, it speaks to me the most.

Maggie