Scale and arpeggio studies for recorder: any suggestions?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning Scale and arpeggio studies for recorder: any suggestions?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Walter Goode
    Participant

I found the scale and arpeggio studies for clarinet (and adapted for saxophone by D. Hite) by Friedrich Demnitz very useful in learning these instruments. The studies are melodious and use the full range of the instrument, but they are not technically difficult. I assume that similar material is available for the recorder, and I wonder whether anyone could make any suggestions. Thank you.

Aulos303
    Participant

What about the Rose studies? Might they be playable on recorder?

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Aulos303
    Participant

Have a look here. Quite a few recorder studies listed, with various grades.

https://www.justflutes.com/category.php?category_id=2118&comp_letter=&page=1&order=comp

Walter Goode
    Participant

Aulos303
    Thank you for the justflutes list of recorder studies. Several of them are very suitable for my purposes.
    As for the Rose studies, I might leave them alone for the time being. The ones I know were written for the clarinet, and the huge range of the clarinet would require extensive adjustments for the recorder, although parts of them could be played as they are. They are rewarding for the clarinet player, though.

Aulos303
    Participant

Also check out Aldo Bova. He has a few books listed on lulu.com and Amazon I think.

Aulos303
    Participant

I was looking at this one

http://www.lulu.com/shop/aldo-bova/54-weekly-exercises-up-and-down-for-soprano-recorder/paperback/product-24275543.html

Walter Goode
    Participant

Thank you. The Aldo Bova material looks very good. I think I am now set for the next little while.

Aulos303
    Participant

Thank you. The Aldo Bova material looks very good. I think I am now set for the next little while.

I thought about getting it but I need to see a sample of the scores to make sure its not above my playing level.

DAVID VOGEL
    Participant

“The Charlton method for the recorder : a manual for the advanced recorder player”

Has scales and much more. A great book.

Aulos303
    Participant

Hmm it seems I’m unable to make any more posts…

recorderoz
    Participant

I’ve been using “Advanced Recorder Technique” by Heyens/Bowen, published by Schott. It’s a mouthful, so to speak, I’m not that advanced with it. Somewhat less daunting, but still very worthwhile is “95 Dexterity Exercises and Dances for Recorders in F” by G. Rooda.

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.