Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…? Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Timothy Kogstrom
Participant

Dear Richard/Leonardo:

Yes, indeed, I DID watch Sarah’s most recent video…it seems she REALLY does like that Bernolin resin alto!…lol…

Unfortunately, I am currently monetarily tapped-out…as I have begun to foray into the electronic/amplified realm of music making…(I have found myself playing in a couple of largely “Blues” style music jam ensembles!), and in order to “compete” with electric guitars, keyboards, saxophones, drum-sets and a trombone or two, I “broke down” and purchased a mic., instrument amp., mic. pre-amp/effects loop foot pedal, along with parametric EQ, reverb. and delay pedals… :-O …lol…

YES, it IS a different sort of experience if not a totally different realm altogether… However, when playing amplified along with a little reverb. and delay pedal “juicing” the sound of the recorder, I seem to take on the status of a “real” musical instrument…LOL…amplified/loud instrument musicians and “audience” members alike making positive comments about the sound of the instruments…indicating not only the relative “novelty” of the sound, but also the actual beauty of the blend of my recorders along with their more “conventional” instruments…

It was with some genuine, pleasant surprise that I noted that on the heels of Sarah’s praise of the Bernolin recorder, she then went on to extol the virtues of the looping pedal!…lol…(As I have VERY recently succumbed to the lure of the delay pedal, and still just beginning to learn how to apply it MUSICALLY…, I cannot yet rationalize the acquisition of yet another pedal!…) Perhaps some day???…

HOWEVER, I WOULD love to converse with Sarah regarding her experience into her foray into the electronic realm…what she has explored, applied, discarded, etc., and why…AND even as alluring as these amazing, late 20th/early 21st century “magic” boxes are, they certainly are not a substitute for musicality in the first place…and YES, I STILL lust after that Bernolin resin alto, almost as I do the inherent ability and playing technique of Sarah or others of “her ilk”!…One must never forget that the musical instruments are only a means of honoring the composer and the music itself!…

Please feel free to “weigh-in” on the foray into the “electric realm”, what you think, have perhaps experienced, and/or any sites that might assist me?…(I am familiar with a website entitled “Horn Fx”, however, it does not appear to be very responsive when I have inquired about issues regarding using recorders as opposed to loud “traditional” instruments…