Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…? Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Timothy Kogstrom
Participant

Dear Matteo:

MMM…yes, that age-old quandry, how much to spend, and where is the greatest value for your expenditure…

Owning both the Mollehauer Prima AND Yamaha Ecodear alto AND soprano recorders, I will say that the Prima series instruments are little bit “woodier”/smoother in timbre, as well as being a bit “throatier” and louder, though they ARE moderately more expensive than the Ecodear “equivalents”…On the other hand, the Ecodears ARE a bit less expensive, can stand to be left in a hot vehicle with very little risk of damage, and have an interesting, “pear-shaped” timbre, though they do play a bit softer. I agree that perhaps one of the Mollenhauer “Dream” recorders might be a good investment instead, in that it IS designed to sound different…(allowing you to perhaps more comfortably make that choice…(no longer comparing apples to apples, but apples to oranges!…lol…).

I would try not to lose too much sleep over it…if you budget is limited, either of the lower-cost recorder lines would be pleasing, however, if you DO have the budget to purchase the Bernolin, I am sure that you would be very happy with that instrument…(there are really no POOR choices here…)…and IF it is a matter of “purchasing guilt”, simply go with the Ecodear, and then, as a reward to yourself and your practicing self-discipline, purchase the Bernolin when you possess the funds and able to rationalize that “luxury”…

Peace/Namaste,
Tim