Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…? Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Timothy Kogstrom
Participant

Richard/Matteo:

I must agree that the soprano, (and above…), recorder range IS inherently shrill…and I believe that is why I like the Mollenhauer Prima series…the softwood/pearwood(?) instrument bodies, (paraffin wax impregnated I believe), seem to impart a somewhat more muted harmonic series/overtones…reducing the “shrill” factor somewhat…,(and that relative warmth is even more apparent in the alto). Again, certainly NOT the last word in upper-octave response, but still very playable…

I accept the reasoning that the physical design of the wind-way, labium and all other soundwave generating parameters…,(inner bore dimensions, etc.), DOMINATE the overall timbre and response of the instrument, and that the material(s) used determine it to a significantly lesser degree, however, I am wondering if the relative smoothness/roughness of the bore of the instrument has a marked effect on timbre…a harder surface can be polished to a greater extent, and will generate less “micro-turbulence”, possibly generating a somewhat more diffuse/mellow timbre? I would love for a manufacturer of plastic/resin instruments experiment with the relative smoothness/roughness of the instrument’s inner bore…

I would attempt it myself if I had TOO many “spare” instruments around, AND had the know how, equipment and abrasives to try it, however, I would be concerned that ANY roughing-up of the inner bore would, (so SOME degree), increase the inner bore diameter/volume), which could ruin the overall response/intonation of an otherwise decent instrument…

Thoughts?

Peace/Namaste,
Tim K.