Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…? Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Richard Hureau
Participant

Considering that scale, I think we would need to specify that we are comparing 3 high-quality recorders, so really cheap plastic or (especially) wooden recorders would not even be on this scale. So it is a given that the 3 are good instruments, so even a lower rating doesn’t mean they are poor or even mediocre. Given this, I would rate them:

– Yamaha Ecodear = 5
– Aulos 709b = 6
– Bernolin (white resin) = 9

This is ignoring the fact that I dislike the right-hand hole positions on the 709b so much that I gave up using it (and switched to the equally good Aulos 509B). Sarah Jeffery even mentions this in her review of the 709b (“Haka”). If the fingering doesn’t bother you, it’s very fine. If we wanted to add the Zen-on G-1A to the mix, I’d give it a 3 or 4.

As far as the Bernolin, I think I’ve reviewed it pretty extensively above. I do want to point out that I consider this rating to be somewhat comparing apples to oranges. I consider the resin Bernolin to be the equivalent of one of Bernolin’s boxwood models, with the same careful adjustments done to both models (shaving within the holes, etc). Although I haven’t played a Bernolin boxwood, the material that a recorder is made of is the least important aspect of how well it plays, whereas the way it is made and adjusted is the most important (IMHO). Therefore, I assume they are very similar. So for the price, the resin model is a steal! (I really think this).