Reply To: Optimal Recorder Shipping Packaging for Transportation for Repair?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Optimal Recorder Shipping Packaging for Transportation for Repair? Reply To: Optimal Recorder Shipping Packaging for Transportation for Repair?

Timothy Kogstrom
Participant

Dear Dick:

Thank you for your sage advice, you did confirm a concern I had regarding cargo bay temperatures, however, I did not think of it in terms of rate of temperature delta over time…nor did I consider the humidity/drying-out issue. I WILL oil the recorders very well prior to shipping, but also heed all of your advice!
In addition, I am wondering if there is some sort of commonly available container in which I can place the tenor, (which lacks any substantial case), such that it is rendered crush proof, short of buying a hard case. I am considering a length of schedule 40, or 80(?), PVC plumbing pipe…(3 or 4 inches in diameter?…), and lining that pipe with bubble wrap…and could even purchase end caps to “seal” the system…Might be overkill, however, better than under protection…?…(Perhaps the pipe concept would be an even better container for the soprano than its dedicated but relatively uninsulated/sealed hard-case?

Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Tim K.