Reply To: Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder? Reply To: Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder?

Matteo Berra
Participant

The soaking paper is a very good idea: thank you Dick!
I’m a little bit reluctant as to put chemicals into the windway for, if I was to suck moisture, then I would swallow some of the substance: I think it’s likely to be laureth sulfate.
I don’t know whether it is the spring coming with consequent warmer temperatures or if I’m tounging better and blowing more gently, but it seems to me that clogging is less affecting my playing – yet still a problem.
I agree with you that the modern treatments woods undergo are so drastic that can turn the surface of wood into a kind of plastic. I’ve read that this is true expecially for soft woods such as maple or pearwood, that in some cases do not even require any periodical oiling (or maybe it should be avoided for it could bring about pores de-waxing)
By the way, just a few days ago I’ve written to Bernolin’s because I was curious about the fact that the block of their resin recorders is made of cedar, and I was answered not to be worried about moisture: it is not a concern because cedar is very resistent to water and the block is thermally treated.
Thanks and Regards,
Matteo