Reply To: Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder? Reply To: Wood or Resin for an inexpansive treble recorder?

Matteo Berra
Participant

Good evening Dick,
I’m glad to hear from you again. Thank you for suggestions.
By the way, I went to the Thomann’s online shop and had a look to the Moeck olive wood recorder you mentioned in a previous answer: it is really delightful!
I used to warm up my plastic in my hands for five minutes at least, but it’s likely that it’s not enough time, so as you recommend I will try a longer warm up.
The Yamaha 300 series is well known for its narrow, easily-clogging windway, and that’s really a shame for otherwise it sounds so good for the first five minutes, when it is completly dry. Even sucking moisture up, or blowing it off, does not solve the problem since it starts: for sure it helps, but the only way to get rid of moisture is to clean it and let it dry in the air for a while.
I’m wondering what could happen to a brand new wooden recorder (after break-in period) if it was to absorb all of the water that i blow off from my plastic both during playing and cleaning. But maybe I’m worrying too much considering that recorders had always been made out of wood since the beginning of time.

Thanks,
Matteo