Reply To: New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me? Reply To: New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me?

Rex Kerr
Participant

Thanks to both of you for the feedback! As for Ken’s wordiness, I’m good with that as I’ve learned a lot by reading your older posts! 🙂

The book that I have is the Sweet Pipes book. I do like that it has a lot of exercises, and doesn’t spend a lot of time on reading music and timing since I already know that at least as well as the beginner books ever describe it. I’ll definitely look into the books that Ken suggested above, thanks.

Merrill says:

>You’ll want someone to help drill you in notes and rhythm, tell you when you are consistently playing a wrong note, rushing or lagging, etc.

Yeah, I think that’s my bigger reason for considering lessons — I do have a tendency to be a bit sloppy with my timing, and did notice last night that I was already messing up one note and had to go back and re-practice it. Using a chromatic tuner and playing really slowly and holding the notes helped me check that I was both doing the right finger pattern as well as blowing the proper amount of air — I tended to be a bit flat a first as I was concerned about pushing it too far.