Reply To: Bernolin Resin Recorder: Choosing between 415 Hz or 442 Hz?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin Resin Recorder: Choosing between 415 Hz or 442 Hz? Reply To: Bernolin Resin Recorder: Choosing between 415 Hz or 442 Hz?

Pavane
Participant

I was going to start a thread about Bernolin resin recorders and condensation, but since this thread has already broached the topic, I’ll put the question here:

Bernolin says his resin instruments are suitable for “students who need a low cost, almost indestructible instrument for extended practice”. It’s the extended bit that interests me. The general recommendation for a wooden recorder seems to be not to play them for more than an hour a day, otherwise the block can permanently swell to the extent that the instrument needs to be revoiced. The great thing about plastic recorders is that you can play them for hours, just blowing out the condensation from time to time. As the Bernolin recorders have a cedar block, and as it’s the block that seems to be the biggest problem in terms of extended practising, it doesn’t seem particularly logical that you can play it for hours, though he seems to suggest that you can. Maybe it’s his special anti-condensation fluid that does the trick, but then you could add this to a wooden recorder (maybe?).

Does anyone have experience of playing them for extended periods? Or of using his anti-condensation fluid in a wooden recorder?