Reply To: Next step after Yamaha YRA-28B Alto (towards a Bernolin Resin)?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Next step after Yamaha YRA-28B Alto (towards a Bernolin Resin)? Reply To: Next step after Yamaha YRA-28B Alto (towards a Bernolin Resin)?

Richard Hureau
Participant

I think that Bernolin has a lot of the initial work that is done to create a resin recorder automated, kind of the way you see Prescott using “smart” machinery to do a lot of the grunt work. But resin is probably much more forgiving than wood, where every piece is different. So he can probably turn the resin recorders out faster with less human interaction. Even the fine-tuning that needs to be done on the resin recorders is probably easier since, again, there will be no variation from one sample to the next, whereas with wood it is no doubt much more time-consuming to accomlish the SAME fine adjustments. He explains some of this on his website, I think.

I think it is very cool that he has this down to a science so nicely and can sell these recorders at this price. Myself, I like the look of wood like anyone else, but ultimately I’d rather have a better-sounding instrument for the same price.