Reply To: Which \\\"easy\\\" (treble) music book?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Repertoire and Music Which \\\"easy\\\" (treble) music book? Reply To: Which \\\"easy\\\" (treble) music book?

Katia J
Participant

Thank you, Ken, for the detailed review! It was really helpful. That was good to know about the Anthology. It sounds like it would work well for me. I’m definitely interested in the more “obscure” stuff.

Yes, the ASWLTD site has such great detailed descriptions of all the materials; it’s how I’ve decided on all of the books I’ve ordered/want to order in future (and found these three). It can be difficult to navigate the music when you can’t flip through books to see what the music is like and don’t know anyone to ask. If I was at an advanced level the sky would be the limit, of course, but I can’t exactly listen to/look at every piece ever written for recorder to gauge whether it would work for me at my level, lol.

I have been and will definitely be ordering from the recorder suppliers (except the Davis book, because I bought it used from Amazon)– it just makes the most sense for so many reasons. So, I definitely trust there won’t be confusion over what I’m ordering, luckily. I’m expecting the Rooda from Courtly Music any day now. Getting close to the end of my two method books, though one thing I like about Enjoy Your Recorder is that it does provide some more challenging stuff at the end, excerpts from Telemann and Handel sonatas, etc. (And I’m actually liking that the Recorder Guide has both soprano and alto, because I can play the soprano parts up an octave on alto, which is good practice too. Eventually I should probably also work soprano back in, but I’m trying not to, at this point, confuse the issue of the different fingerings.)

Between those and Peter Billam’s Daily Recorder Exercises scales and arpeggios, and then some of the pieces I’m playing around with or plan to play around with in future (the Largo from Winter of the Four Seasons, the Moderato movement of Telemann’s Fantasia 10, the second movement of the Marcello, and I’ll try the Adagio movement of Bach’s oboe concerto in d minor {haven’t decided whether to do it on soprano or transpose for alto} and I might try to convince my fellow-violinist friend to do the Adagio movement of the BWV1060R as well), I’m keeping pretty busy, luckily.