Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…? Reply To: Bernolin resin alto/soprano recorders vs. Aafab/Coolsma polyester recorders…?

Richard Hureau
Participant

It’s kind of surprising to me that your half-plastic Moeck soprano would sound better than a Yamaha 300-series one. My only thought is that soprano recorders are shrill. In fact, I mostly cannot stand to play one because they are so shrill. My poor ears! So perhaps the Moeck is more mellow? That doesn’t necessarily indicate a good soprano. I mean, they ARE shrill.

Even in the hands of a good player (which I am NOT, on a soprano), they are pretty bad that way, IMHO. Sarah Jeffery even has a YouTube video on how to play the soprano; the intention of the video is to help people play it better because the instrument is so shrill that it is hard to make it sound good. I’ll second that! Fortunately, we have the alto, which is much more gentle on the ears.

Anyway, good idea to try an alto Ecodear, I think. Let us know if/when you get it and whether you like it. 🙂