Reply To: New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me?

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me? Reply To: New Player, what lesson frequency would you recommend for me?

Rex Kerr
Participant

Well, I got the recorder. Excited to try it out, though waiting for my method books to decontaminate — giving them a day or two to de-COVID. 🙂

Anyhow, playing some scales on the new recorder. I find the new finger spacing to be surprisingly harder, hope that passes quickly. I find myself holding on with a bit of a death-grip, which I initially did w/ the Soprano too, so I hope that I stop doing that quickly. Getting used to the F fingering (mapping the sight-read notes to fingers) is confusing at first after ingrained memories of the C fingering. Surprisingly the new instrument both requires more air overall, yet more fine-tuned control to jump between the low F and higher notes without overtones. I guess it’s all a matter of adapting… can’t wait to get around to playing some actual music, but I think that I should approach it slowly, methodically, and not try to rush through the basics.