Triebert recorders?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Katia J
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Yamaha intended the ecodear range to resemble boxwood. What I want to know is, do they sound different to their regular 300 series recorders? And do they clog as often. My YRA312 is terrible for clogging, despite warming the head up before playing. I need to apply home made anticondens again I think.

Oops, forgot to reply to this.

My “trick” for trying to eliminate condensation in my whistles (and I’ve tried it in the recorder) is either giving it a rinse with water that has some washing-up fluid/dish soap, or taking a length of waxed dental floss, threading it through the windway, and rubbing it around thoroughly to transfer some of the wax… works a treat on my whistles (not sure about the recorder… lately I’ve had less clogging with the recorder and I’m not sure what to attribute that to).

Aulos303
    Participant

(Mind you, I will make a confession: to me many/most recorders have what I consider a “plastic-y” sound at times, even the high-end wooden ones. It’s just the way a recorder, as an instrument, sounds in my mind. Other people may describe the sound differently. It’s part of the reason I’ve eschewed some plastic pennywhistles; I’ve described them as sounding “recorder-y” and I think it’s that “plastic” sound. To me a whistle tends to have a more pure and sweet sound. I don’t mean that to sound offensive, it’s just that the way my brain personally forms an impression of the sound of a recorder is, sometimes, as sounding like plastic.

The thing that defines a recorder’s sound is more likely to be the complex bore. A tin whistle has a straight, wide bore. Recorder has a narrower bore with a reverse taper.

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.