Thinking about a Voice Flute

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    recorderoz
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting an A 415 Voice Flute. Any recommendation?

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

Caroline Webb
    Participant

No, but talk to Zana at Orpheus Music.

William Baumann
    Participant

If I was going to get another, I would probably get a Stephan Blezinger Bressan. There are several good makers. Maybe another question would be: A Bressan or a Denner mode?

recorderoz
    Participant

Good question, and one I haven’t thought through. My group has a soprano, so I would be playing obbligato. Over the years I’ve become pretty good at playing up the octave on the fly with my alto, but it would be great to play the parts as written. Plus the French flute duets in the origianl keys.

Re the Bressan or Denner, the question is which would cut it alongside a good baroque soprano voice?

Tony Newnham
    Participant

Hi

Probably a silly question to many, but what exactly is a “voice flute”? How does it differ from the more normal styles of recorder?

Every Blessing

Tony

recorderoz
    Participant

A voice flute is a recorder with D as the lowest note. This makes it slightly smaller than a tenor, which has C as the lowest note. The distinct advantage of a voice flute is that the (extensive) baroque flute repertoire can be played directly, without tranposing, as the baroque flute also has D as the lowest note.

Tony Newnham
    Participant

Thanks for the reply – but just what difference does the D as the lowest note make, apart from the length of the instrument? Why does it mke the music mentioned easier – you still have the same notes on a Tenor recorder. Is the fingering (more or less) the same as a C recorder? Are there voice flutes in G to correspond to F recorders?

I’ve been playing recorders on & off since school days in the 1960’s – but have only recently heard of voice flute – mainly as odd comments in the Early Music Shop newsletter.

Thanks

Every Blessing

Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.