So, the LearnRecorder site lessons…

Home Forum Teaching and Learning So, the LearnRecorder site lessons…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ken In Dallas July 4, 2021 at 1:08 am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dave P
    Participant

Are the lessons good? Worth signing up for? I’m a total recorder noob, I don’t even remember doing it in grade school, so I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

Otherwise, what else would you recommend? I see the Sweet Pipes books on Amazon but they don’t seem to come with audio which I think would be a plus. And there’s multiple versions of their books and I’m not sure which one would be best to begin with.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Katia J
    Participant

ASW has a good page where they talk about various method books.

Katia J
    Participant

For some reason, the forum won’t let me post a link, but if you go to their site– that’s aswltd dot com– and then go to the page about “where can I find more information?” and follow the link there.

Richard Hureau
    Participant

I see the Sweet Pipes books on Amazon but they don’t seem to come with audio which I think would be a plus. And there’s multiple versions of their books and I’m not sure which one would be best to begin with.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I’m not familiar with those books, but I suspect that there are “multiple versions of their books” because one book is probably for soprano instruments and another is for alto. I think. So, please be sure to buy instruction books for the instrument you have. It is very important.

Katia J
    Participant

It also looks like these have a “Book 1” and “Book 2.”

So it looks like you’re going to want the blue one if you’re learning soprano, or the red one if learning alto.

Ken In Dallas
    Participant

Sweet Pipes are the books I teach with. I only teach adults, and the problem is that they have three series that are very ‘look-alike’ but are very different. Two are for children’s Elementary School classes and teach the staff and notation as they go along. The adult books don’t teach notation, but are otherwise, I feel, excellent for someone learning without a teacher.

Another issue is that they are inexpensive… so inexpensive that people buy and resell them online and especially on eBay at often four times their real $7- to $10 a copy price. You’ll see them on eBay and Amazon at up to $45 each – Really! I tell people to order them from Sweet Pipes, Courtly Music, or Von Huene. It’s good to support our long-term Recorder Community stores anyway.

Match the publisher’s “SP” number to get the right books:
    SP 2313 The Sweet Pipes Recorder Book – Soprano Book 1
    SP 2365 The Sweet Pipes Recorder Book – Soprano Book 2

SP 2318 The Sweet Pipes Recorder Book – Alto Book 1
    SP 2367 The Sweet Pipes Recorder Book – Alto Book 2

Hey, the best of luck, and if you have any questions along the way, post’em here.

Ken

Sweet Pipes Alto 1 Cover Image

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.