Slur woes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Harrison
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m a new member and a fairly new player, having picked up an instrument for the first time a few months ago. Right now I’m trying to get past a stumbling block: slurring E to D and back again in my Grade 1 version of ‘Fairest Isle’. The problem bit is highlighted in the image.

It seems like a horrible transition: /12345— to 0-2—– and back again, with lots of scope for clumsy fingers to shade the holes while in transit and produce a nasty squawk.

Will this fix itself with improved dexterity, tonguing or breathing over time, or should I be thinking about learning some alternate fingerings?

In case it matters I’m using an Aulos ‘Haka’ soprano, which is otherwise well behaved.

Thanks,

David

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    recorderoz
    Participant

The good news is that you can do this without alternate fingerings. The bad news is that it takes some practice. Try playing the phrase over and over, at the slowest speed which still allows you to get all the notes without burbles.

You’ll get there. All instruments have hurdles like this, the recorder is no different.

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

David Harrison
    Participant

Thanks Recorderoz, that’s reassuring. I’ll keep playing the phrase slowly until it sounds right.

I did read about an alternate E which seems fine to my novice’s ears: 0-2345– . It allows an easy E-D-E slur. Of course all that really does is postpone trouble, until some other passage requires a slur from F-E-F! 🙂

So patience it is, then…

Aulos303
    Participant

Being a beginner I can honestly say that sounds a really hard transition!

You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.