Replacing Cork inside of recorder

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Replacing Cork inside of recorder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lou Furman
    Participant

I see all the instructions on line for replacing cork. However the cork on my old 3 piece alto recorder is not on the outside, but inside the mouthpiece and inside the bottom piece. It will be difficult replacing it smoothly. Is there any reason I cannot clean out the cork and then replace it on the outside of the tenon?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Richard Hureau
    Participant

I think it would be possible to do what you suggest. After getting rid of all that old crud, I think I might try to use thread instead of cork, but whatever is easier, I guess. Take a look at the documents on this page

for some guidance (shows how to use thread and cork, etc.

Richard Hureau
    Participant

I got a private message from Lou Furman saying he was having a hard time finding the info I mentioned. I replied twice but received no response. So, I will make one final try, via a public message. Here it what I said:

Lou,
    Maybe you failed to click the link in the discussion where it says ”Take a look at the documents on this page” where ”this page” is a link to the website. Did you click that link (where it says ”this page”)? I realize that the forum’s link setup makes it very obscure.

Anyway, the link is this (copy and paste this into your browser address bar):

http://www.flute-a-bec.com/documentsgb.html

Under ”Practical Documents” you will see:

Maintenance tips
    How to clean the windway
    Fungus in the windway
    Sanitary precautions for recorders in case of epidemics
    Condensation in recorders
    Recorder joint maintenance
    Recorder block adjustment
    How to make a block
    Tuning adjustments

Right?

Rich

Lou Furman
    Participant

Rich,

Apparently, I still do not know how to work this system. I thought I replied to you. At first, I decided to go with thread. Then I discovered it was a challenge to find it. I had bought the cork (the right thickness) and cut it to size placing it on the tenon. I then connected the pieces without gluing to see the fit.

Everything fit tight and am now playing without risking glue yet. That’s the update.

I hope you get this message.

Thanks for all your perseverance and help, Lou

Richard Hureau
    Participant

Lou,
    You’re welcome. The difference is there is this forum thread topic and there are private messages. I don’t know how you managed it but you sent me a private message after my first post, instead of just responding to this thread (which is the standard thing people do).
    You can see your private messages by clicking “My Account” under your name (upper right of this page) and then looking around on that screen for “Messages”. There is an inbox and sent.
    Anyway, sounds like you are doing well with the cork, which can be tricky, I should think. Use cork grease!! Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.