Pan recorder

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone out there have any pan recorders for sale,I have two sopranos and a alto and would much like a tenor,made in Australia,from Aus hard wood ,pan recorders Melbourne Australia,made around the 1960’s,much interested ,Firepony?

recorderoz
    Participant

Did Fred Morgan, the famous (and sadly deceased) Australian recorder maker have anything to do with these instruments?

Mostly alto, plays with Balmain Baroque

Anonymous
    Inactive

Most definately,with the alto? which is beautifully made,and the alto,s and some tenors ,where made when or after Fred Morgan joined the company?the shape of the alto reminds me of later flutes made by Fred ,although he may not of turned the barrels ,I,d guess that he probably voiced the instrument as unlike the sopranos it has a distinctly different shape and also a wooden block,prior to Fred from my research,pan made student recorders with plastic blocks,and some time around his joining the company,they expanded down to ,sopranonino and up to altos and tenors,they also made the odd bass ,but not having the facility for key work only a few were made,of the three pan recorders I have ,two sops and an alto,the older sop ,smaller,the d#c# keys oppose each other opposite to every other recorder,and the brand ,pan recorder(only) looks to be stamped on with a ink stamp then varnished over,also the plastic block extends to within a couple of mil to the edge of the mouthpiece,and after 50 yrs there is no cracks,I’d say this one was made by Ade Monsbourge ,the next sop is slightly longer and wider,normal holes,with same turned shape, the plastic block goes no were near the edge of the mouthpiece,but different to the older one, protrudes through the top,the brand appears to be a sticker,with the letter A ,person playing flute,and pan product,made in Australia,Now my favourite flute the alto,has the same sticker,beautiful different,shape,lovely clear focused sound and unlike the sops has a wood block,and unlike the sops has a beveled windway!neither of the sops do.regards Firepony.

recorderoz
    Participant

Hmmm. So essentially you have some early Morgan recorders. Treasure them (I’m sure you will). I actually had one on order when he had his tragic accident.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you know ?you can buy recorder bodies from Fred Morgan’s workshop,they still make them,turned to Freds specifications,from his wife Anne Morgan,and get them voiced by a maker of your choice,eg, moeck ,or maybe even Joanne Saunders? ,who makes recorders in Melbourne,She was apprenticed to Fred and makes beautiful flutes!I am currently (saving my pennies) inquiring about the cost of alto and or tenor to voice myself,I emailed Anne about two weeks ago and she promptly got back to me saying she is very busy with up coming concert dates and will get back to me soon,so looking forward to her reply,and are definately going to visit Joanne Saunders workshop when we move south next year,regards Firepony.

recorderoz
    Participant

I’ve heard about these later Morgan recorders. My understanding is that the voicing is done by a single maker only. I could be wrong though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got my info from Jacqeuline sorel recorders,her add states that as a customer you can get your recorder finished by maker of your choice,and that she offers the service! I would probably ,to keep it in Aus,I,d ask Joanne Saunders of Melbourne to finish it as she was apprenticed to Fred ,or get one of Joanne’s recorders,she is world renown for quality flutes,and had a great teacher,regards Firepony.

Jason Stechly
    Participant

Hi I have a hand recorder I don’t know too much about it can send pics from Pics Sydney Australia

Jason Stechly
    Participant

Sorry it is a pan recorder

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.