Learning Rhythm – help needed

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Teaching and Learning Learning Rhythm – help needed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi
    I’m currently learning the descant (soprano) recorder. I’m using Brian Bosner and Hugh Orr… interspersed with Bach and various dexterity exercises. My sight reading is coming along but I’m struggling with rhythm. I’d be grateful if any of you could suggest a book/material I could try. I have Amanda Oosthuizen’s ‘Catch the Beat Recorder Sight Reading’ but I really need something that will take me a bit further.

Thanks.

Frank Maurer
    Participant

I would search the web for rhythms for sight reading (for example https://practicesightreading.com/create.php) and then just use one note to start off.

Chris Baron
    Participant

i find that practicing playing a drum with a metronome helps. a boran is a good drum to use

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks both of you!

I’m using a metronome – it’s hard! I’ve also bought some books specifically aimed at rhythm. I’m also playing with a CD accompaniment which I have found helps a great deal and is great fun. I need a teacher really but so far have had no luck finding one.

Mihaela Mack
    Participant

You can also download MuseScore which is the open source version of music composition software. You can hear the music piece you’re trying to learn played by the synthesizer. (You have to manually enter the score.) That gives you an idea of what the music should sound like in terms of rhythm. I personally use the metronome. You do get used to it but it is hard for more complex rhythms. Recorder teachers are very difficult to find. Some of them will travel around so you might be able to get a lesson once in a while but not regularly. Have you tried the lessons on learnrecorder.com?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mihaela – thanks – that’s a good idea! I’ve found a teacher to start with in September – one of my neighbours knows someone who is a flutist but who plays and has taught the recorder. So, hopefully I’ll get some proper help later this year. In the meantime I’m now using Gerald Burakoff’s book and CD. Although he doesn’t get very far notewise I like how kind he is and of course being a CD he doesn’t get fed up with playing the same tune over and over again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have since bought more books than you can imagine on rhythm. But I’ve finally found something that helps. So if anyone else is here with this problem try Preston and Hale: Rhythm without the Blues (with CD), Hal Leonard. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.