Counting beats

Home Forum Teaching and Learning Counting beats

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zixi Howard Zixi Howard March 29, 2018 at 7:59 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zixi Howard
    Zixi Howard
    Participant

I suppose this is related to my earlier post about rhythm. I wonder how to keep time or count beats and would be interested in hearing people’s solutions. I’ve found counting almost impossible to do and I now use a mixture of counting, words and sounds. I’m wondering if something like Kodaly (ta ti etc etc) would be useful and if anyone has tried it?

Profile photo of jeffrey armbruster
    jeffrey armbruster
    Participant

I count. I use the “one and..” system of counting, where the ‘and’ marks an 8th note. then count “one-e-and-a-Two-e-and-a..” etc. for marking 16th notes.

I’m just learning the recorder; worse, both alto and soprano. so the fingerings are still coming to me. That makes counting while playing difficult! On the guitar I resort to counting out loud through a difficult passage; not possible with a recorder! But this will soon pass…

Zixi Howard
    Participant

I’ve only just seen this – I hope you come back because I think this is an interesting discussion! I can’t count for more than a couple of notes when I’m playing recorder. I tried playing keyboard for a short time and I had no problems counting aloud and playing that! I’m using a version of Kodaly now – ta, ti-ti etc etc and this works well for notes I want to tongue with a ‘t’. I’m pretty sure I’ll learn to fudge it for other sounds or by then it will be so natural that I won’t have to consciously count… Yes, I’m an optimist!

Profile photo of jeffrey armbruster
    jeffrey armbruster
    Participant

Oh, Kodaly huh? I’ll look that up.Possibly being able to tongue the count while playing will work–I’m away from my recorder now so I can’t try it. I suppose you could articulate any passage with your tongue saying ‘t’ to learn the phrasing, and then go on to voice it how you’d like.

Zixi Howard
    Participant

I don’t know how close to Kodaly the method I’m using is but so far it seems to work. It seems easy to tongue and mentally say ta, ti-ti etc that to tongue and say one and two etc etc…

Yes, I’m hoping that once I get the hang of keeping a steady beat I won’t have to consciously say ta etc and I’ll be able to do what you say – voice any sound I want! I think it’s interesting that neither of us have problems counting when it isn’t a wind instrument. I wonder if that’s typical?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.