Aulos 209b alto recorder bad sound

Recorder Forum Home Page Forum Recorder Makes, Models and Maintenance Aulos 209b alto recorder bad sound

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sergio Reyes
    Participant

Hello
    I have started to study the alto recorder and for testing I recently purchased a plastic aulos 209b flute.

The flute becomes muffled very soon and there are times that even when the excess saliva has just been removed, it still sounds bad. To remove excess saliva, blow through the lip covering the hole or bezel.

What am I doing wrong?
    Is the flute defective?
    Or is the flute just bad?

Pd: sorry my english (google translate)

Thanks

Richard Hureau
    Participant

First, you should warm the head joint (where the mouthpiece is that you blow into) for at least 15 minutes before playing. You can do this by putting it under your armpit. This is VERY important and helps A LOT with the condensation problem you are having.

Sarah Jeffery has several YouTube videos about this. Look at this starting at 6:37 (which this link directly puts you):

She says 5 or 10 minutes for warming it up, but I think 15 or even 20 is much better. She also gives good tips on how to clear the condensation.

Good luck!!

Sergio Reyes
    Participant

Although I am very lost in English I will watch the videos to see if I find out something … hahaha. And with a plastic flute I also have to heat the flute like this? I understand that this is for wooden flutes …
    Thank you. you are helping me

Dick Mattson
    Participant

This is for wood and plastic.

Sergio Reyes
    Participant

Ok. Thanks

Richard Hureau
    Participant

Yes, of course, this is for wood or plastic. Plastic recorders are more likely to have condensation problems than wood, so it is even more important to warm a plastic recorder before you play it.

Sergio Reyes
    Participant

it works. what a change! Thank you

Richard Hureau
    Participant

Glad we could help! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.